Blended scotch whisky
- 40% ABV750 mlglenfiddich 21 yearsKES 33,000
- 40% ABV750 ml 1 litreglenlivet 15 yearsKES 7,300 - KES 9,100
- 40% ABV750 ml 1 litreChivas Regal 12 yearsKES 3,700 - KES 3,999
- 40% ABV750 ml 1 litreglenlivet 12 yearsKES 5,899 - KES 6,899
- 40% ABV750 mlmacallan 12 years sherry oakKES 10,999
- 40% ABV750 ml 1 litreglenlivet founders reserveKES 5,400 - KES 5,999
- 43% ABV750 mlmacallan 18 yearsKES 27,899
- 40% ABV4.5 litresjohnnie walker black lable king sizeKES 20,000
- 43% ABV700mlJohnnie Walker King George VKES 62,300
- 43% ABV1 litreauchentoshan heartwoodKES 9,800
- 40% ABV1 litrejohnnie walker blenders batchKES 7,500
- 40% ABV750 ml 1 litreJ&B rareKES 2,200 - KES 2,400
- 43% ABV750 ml 1 litreglenlivet 18 yearsKES 13,799 - KES 17,000
- 40% ABV750 ml 1 litrefamous grouse smoky blackKES 2,550 - KES 3,050
- 40% ABV4.5 litresjohnnie walker red label king sizeKES 11,500
- 43% ABV700 mlglenlivet 25 yearsKES 52,000
- 40% ABV750 ml 1 litreDewars white labelKES 2,750 - KES 3,250
- 40% ABV750 ml 1 litremonkey shoulderKES 4,400 - KES 5,500
- 40% ABV750 mlglen grantKES 4,800
- 40% ABV750 mlchivas mizunaraKES 16,500
- 43% ABV1 litreglenmorangie lasantaKES 7,500
- 40% ABV4.5 litresChivas Regal 12 years king sizeKES 20,000
- 43% ABV700 mlglenmorangie 18 yearsKES 17,999
- 46% ABV700 mlglenmorangie signetKES 24,000
- 40% ABV750 mlchivas regal extraKES 7,000
- 40% ABV700 ml 1 litre 1.13 Litreswhyte & mackayKES 2,500 - KES 3,100
- 43% ABV750 mlballantines 17 yearsKES 9,000
- 40% ABV750 ml 1 litregrantsKES 2,000 - KES 2,300
- 40% ABV1 litredimple 15KES 8,000
- 40% ABV750 mlDewars 15 YearsKES 9,700
- 40% ABV700 mljohnnie walker odysseyKES 140,500
- 44% ABV750 mljura 21 yearsKES 25,000
- 40% ABV4.5 litresfamous grouse king sizeKES 12,000
- 40% ABV750 ml 1 litrejohnnie walker a song of iceKES 5,000 - KES 6,000
- 40% ABV750 ml 1 litrefamous grouseKES 2,000 - KES 2,300
- 40% ABV1 litre 750 mlglenmorangie originalKES 6,200 - KES 6,900
- 40% ABV750 ml 1 litreBlack & white whiskyKES 1,500 - KES 1,800
- 40% ABV750 ml 1 litrejohnnie walker gold label reserveKES 6,900 - KES 7,280
- 40% ABV1 litrejohnnie walker double blackKES 5,199
- 46% ABV1 litrejohnnie walker select caskKES 7,500
- On offer40% ABV1 litre 750 mljohnnie walker black labelKES 3,299 - KES 3,890
- 46% ABV700 mlJohnnie walker private collection (2017 edition)KES 90,500
- 40% ABV750 mlgrand old parr 12 yearsKES 7,700
- 40% ABV750 ml 1 litreteachersKES 1,800 - KES 2,000
- 40% ABV750 mlaberlour 10 yearsKES 7,800
- 40% ABV750 ml 1 litrewilliam lawsonKES 1,600 - KES 1,900
- 40% ABV1 litre 750 mljohnnie walker platinum labelKES 9,000 - KES 11,000
- 43% ABV750 ml 1 litreballantines finestKES 2,200 - KES 2,600
- 40% ABV750 mlglen silvers blended scotchKES 2,500
- 40% ABV1 litrej&b 15 yearsKES 6,500
- 40% ABV750 ml 1 litrevat 69KES 1,750 - KES 1,900
- 40% ABV750 mlpassport scotchKES 1,649
- 40% ABV700 mlChivas Regal 25 yearsKES 35,000
- 40% ABV750 ml 1 litrejohnnie walker blue labelKES 24,000 - KES 27,000
- 40% ABV700 mlRoyal salute 21 yrs old Sapphire FlagonKES 30,000
- 40% ABV750 mlballantines 12 yearsKES 4,500
- 46% ABV1 litreglenmorangie quinta rubanKES 7,500
- 40% ABV750 mlpiper's clanKES 2,000
- 40% ABV750 ml 1 litreChivas Regal 18 yearsKES 8,500 - KES 9,700
- 43% ABV750 mljohnnie walker green labelKES 6,200
- 40% ABV750 ml 1 litrejohnnie walker 18 yearsKES 8,800 - KES 11,000
- 40% ABV750 mlcutty sarkKES 3,000
- 40% ABV750 ml 1 litrebushmillsKES 3,900 - KES 4,500
- 43% ABV1 litrejura superstitionKES 12,000
- 40% ABV750 ml 1 litrejohnnie walker red labelKES 2,000 - KES 2,200
- 40% ABV750 mlclan murrayKES 2,500
- 40% ABV700 mlfamous grouse 12 years gold reserveKES 5,000
- 40% ABV750 mldewars 12 yearsKES 4,500
- 40% ABV750 mljohnnie walker a song of fireKES 5,000
- 46% ABV700 mlglenmorangie nectar dor 12 yearsKES 10,999
- 42% ABV750 mlmacallan makers editionKES 15,000
- 43% ABV700 mlBallantines 30 years oldKES 55,000
- 40% ABV1 litreauchentoshan springwoodKES 9,800
- 40% ABV750 mljura 10 yearsKES 8,000
- 43% ABV700 mlglenlivet 21 yearsKES 30,000
- 45% ABV750 mlmacallan reserve estateKES 29,500
- 40% ABV1 litrejohnnie walker explorers clubKES 12,000
- 43% ABV750 mljohnnie walker swingKES 9,600
- 40% ABV700 mlGlen Silvers 12 YearsKES 4,500
- 40% ABV700 mlJohnnie Walker X.R 21 yearsKES 22,000
- 40% ABV700 ml 1 litreRoyal salute hundred caskKES 24,000 - KES 32,500
- 43% ABV750 mlmacallan 15 years fine oakKES 19,000
- 40% ABV750 mlsnow grouseKES 2,300
- 46% ABV1 litrejura prophecyKES 12,000
- 40% ABV700 mlIslay Mist 17 yearsKES 8,400
- 40% ABV750 mlScots gold 12 yearsKES 5,199
- 40% ABV750 mlScots gold 8 yearsKES 4,050
- 50% ABV700 mlCutty Sark Prohibition EditionKES 4,750Out of stock
- 40% ABV700 mlWhyte and MacKay 13 yearsKES 4,150
- 40% ABV700 mlIslay Mist DeluxeKES 4,800
- 40% ABV750 mlScottish leader originalKES 2,499
- 40% ABV700 mlMonkey Shoulder Smokey MonkeyKES 5,800
- 40% ABV1 litreIslay MistKES 2,850
- 40% ABV750 mlJ&B honeyKES 2,900
- 40% ABV700 mlDuncan Taylor - Scottish Glory 3 Year OldKES 2,800
- 40% ABV700 mlCutty blackKES 4,650
- 40% ABV750 mlScottish leader 12 yearsKES 4,199
- 50% ABV700 mlBlack Bull 12 Year Old (Duncan Taylor)KES 9,750
- 40% ABV750 mlCutty sark 12 yearsKES 7,800
- 40% ABV4.5 litresSir Edwards King SizeKES 11,899
- 21% ABV700 mlWhyte & Mackay LightKES 2,600
- 40% ABV750 mlCutty sark stormKES 3,400
- 40% ABV750 mlJ&B Jet 12 YearsKES 5,900
- 40% ABV700 mlWhyte & Mackay triple maturedKES 3,750
- 40% ABV700 mlMonkey Shoulder Cage Gift PackKES 5,750
- 40% ABV1 litre 700 mlScots gold black labelKES 2,899 - KES 3,100
- 40% ABV700 mlWhyte and Mackay SpecialKES 2,500
- 40% ABV700 mlCutty sark 18 yearsKES 8,499
- 40% ABV750 mlSir EdwardsKES 1,800
- 50% ABV700 mlBlack Bull 21 Year Old (Duncan Taylor)KES 13,500Out of stock
- 40% ABV700 mlIslay Mist 12 YearsKES 6,900
- 50% ABV700 mlBlack Bull 8 Year Old (Duncan Taylor)KES 6,700
- 43% ABV750 mlJohn BannermanKES 2,199
- 40% ABV750 mlChivas Regal 15 Years XVKES 8,900
- 40% ABV1 litre 750 mlBell'sKES 2,850 - KES 3,500
- 43% ABV700 mlBallantines 21 yearsKES 17,800
- 40% ABV1 litreThe famous grouse bourbon caskKES 3,700
- 40% ABV1 litreThe Famous Grouse Ruby CaskKES 4,400
- 40% ABV700 mlJohnnie walker red label gift packKES 2,100
- 40% ABV750 mlNaked GrouseKES 4,000
- 40% ABV700 mlBallantines Christmas ReserveKES 5,950
- 40% ABV700 mlLaudersKES 2,480
- 40% ABV750 mlGrants distillery editionKES 3,850
- 40% ABV750 mlJohn Barr Finest BlendKES 1,950
- 40% ABV750 mlThe Black Grouse Alpha EditionKES 5,900
- 40% ABV1 litreScotish LeaderKES 3,000
- 40% ABV750 mlWhite HorseKES 3,500
- 40% ABV750 mlTeacher's OriginKES 4,900
- 40% ABV750 mlOld SmugglerKES 1,750
- 40% ABV1 litreBuchanans Deluxe 12 YearsKES 6,500
- 40% ABV700 mlClaymore WhiskyKES 2,850
- 40% ABV1 litreGrants 8 yearsKES 3,800
- 40% ABV700 mlThe Johnnie WalkerKES 699,500
- 40% ABV750 mlGlen Silvers 8 YearsKES 4,700
- 40% ABV750 mlThe snow grouseKES 2,800
- 40% ABV4.5 litresGrants 4.5 Litres king sizeKES 8,700
- 40% ABV700 mlShackletonKES 5,600
- 40% ABV750 mlJohn Barr Black Reserve BlendKES 1,950
- 46% ABV750 mlCompass Box Peat MonsterKES 7,350
- 40% ABV750 mlGrants Rum Cask FinishKES 3,940
- 40% ABV1 litreGrants 25 yearsKES 31,000
- 40% ABV1 litrefamous grouse toasted caskKES 3,800
- 40% ABV1 litreCopper DogKES 5,895
- 40% ABV750 mlGrants Select ReserveKES 3,800
- 46% ABV700 mlCompass Box Spice TreeKES 7,350
- 40% ABV700 mlGrants 12 Years Triple WoodKES 4,850
- 42% ABV1 litreJohnnie Walker Black Label 12 Years Highlands OriginKES 9,950Out of stock
- 42% ABV1 litreJohnnie Walker Black Label 12 Years Speyside OriginKES 9,900
- 40% ABV700 mlChivas Royal Salute 38 Years DestinyKES 84,500
- 42% ABV1 litreJohnnie Walker Black Label 12 Years Lowland OriginKES 9,900
- 40% ABV700 ml 1 litreChivas Regal UltisKES 38,750 - KES 39,750
- 40% ABV750 mlGrants SignatureKES 2,950
- 40% ABV700 mlChivas Royal Salute Diamond TributeKES 45,000
- 40% ABV700 mlFamous Grouse 16 YearsKES 8,199
- 40% ABV1 litreJohnnie Walker Black Label Triple CaskKES 5,350
- 40% ABV1 litreSeagrams 100 Pipers De LuxeKES 3,299
- 40% ABV700 mlHankey Bannister 12 YearsKES 4,799
- 40% ABV750 mlGrants 18 YearsKES 8,799
- 40% ABV750 mlChivas RevolveKES 24,700
Where did Whiskey originate? How do you enjoy whiskey?
Whiskey has become a popular drink over time. A share of the volume of alcohol consumed in Kenya is whiskey. Whiskey drink is adaptable and can be taken neat or with cocktails. It has different flavors and notes, such as oak, honey, cherry, vanilla, and other fruit notes. Whiskey is a complex drink. The versatility of whiskey has contributed to its growth and wide acceptability as an all-occasion drink. Drinks Vine an online whisky shop, brings you a wide variety of whisky brands in Kenya.
Whiskey (or whisky) is a distillation of different liquors made of fermented cereal grains such as wheat, barley, or corn. We have a variety of whisky brands in Kenya due to the difference in the distillation process, place of processing, and how they are aged. Whiskey or whisky is interchangeably used in Kenya without a debate as it would be in the United States, Ireland, Scotland, and several other countries.
Whisky has maintained high quality due to the robust legal guidance in its production. It also has historical and geographical aspects. For example, whiskey should be Scotch if produced within Scotland. Bourbon has to be distilled in America. Japanese whiskey has to be from Japan.
The history of whiskey is from different perspectives dependent on countries. According to Scotch Whisky Experience, Moncks brought about the distillation process in Scotch as they were producing medicine. It’s believed farmers picked up the process, and fermented and distilled their excess barley and corn. Scottish Exchequer Rolls for 1494 is the oldest mention of whisky in Scotch as Mr. J Marshall Robb puts it in his book, Scotch Whisky. In the United State, the art of distillation was introduced by European colonialism.
Types of Whiskey
Whiskey comes in different forms i.e single mart, blended or single grain this can be confusing. We dive deep into these types of whiskey to bring out the difference.
Single malt is whisky from a single distillery. Single malt is a blend of whiskey from different casks but all these casks must come from a single distillery hence the name ‘Single”. Malt is strictly for whiskey made from barley. Hence we can say, Single Malt is whiskey from barley from a single distillery. Examples of single malt are Glenfiddich 12 years, glen grant. For more on single malt and prices
Single grain Whisky
Single grain whisky has to be produced in a single distillery but unlike single malt, the production is not limited to malted barley. Wheat, corn, or rye, malted or unmalted can be used for single grain whisky production. Single grain whiskey has higher sweeter notes compared to single malt.
Blending whiskey lowers the strong flavors associated with single malt scotch which puts many people away. Any mix of scotch whiskeys was considered blended scotch before 2019. With the change in Scotch whisky regulations, a blend has to be a combination of Single malt whisky and Single grain whiskies. The ratio of malt and grain can vary.
Blended Scotch whisky in new regulations gave birth to two other categories i.e blended grain Scotch whisky and blended malt Scotch whisky.
Blended grain Scotch Whisky is a blend of single grain scotch whiskies from different distilleries. Blended grain Scotch Whiskies are rare to get in the market. Only a few distilleries are producing these blended whiskies.
Blended malt Scotch Whisky is a blend of single malt scotch whiskies from different distilleries. Most distilleries produce blended malt Scotch whiskies.
Bourbon is a type of whisky produced in the United States. For a whisky to qualify as a bourbon ;
- Must be distilled and aged in the United States .
- Be 51% of corn distillation, the remaining components can be from wheat, rye, or barley.
- New, charred barrels are used for aging bourbon. The barrel used must be made from American white oak.
- Bourbon can be aged for a few months or years. The aging statement on the bottle indicates the period it has been aged in the barrels.
- Should be at least 80% proof i.e 40% of alcohol by volume when bottled.
- Examples of Bourbon whiskey are Woodford Reserve 2022, Knob Creek Kentucky Straight, Bulleit bourbon, and More.
Spirit distilled in Tennessee State is considered Tennessee whisky by state law. For a whisky to be considered a Tennessee it has to :
- Be 51% distilled from corn
- Be distilled in Tennessee state
- New charred barrels made of oak must be used.
- Must undergo Lincoln County process
- Prichard’s distillery is exempted from the charcoal filtration requirement for Tennessee whisky. Jack Daniels is an example of Tennessee whisky that has gained popularity across the globe. Other distilleries located in Tennessee are George Dickel, Popcorn Sutton, and Corsair.
Irish whiskey is one of the whiskies that had turbulent times, being high or low. For a whisky to be categorized as Irish whisky :
- Must be made and matured in Ireland or Northern Ireland
- Aging has to be done on wooden casks for a minimum of 3 years. Using simply wood as a legal specification for casks widens the opportunity for experimenting compared to Scotch whiskey where oak casks are specified.
The most unique Irish whiskey is the Single Pot Still where a pot still must be used in making instead of a column still. For it to qualify as a single Pot still, it must still be made from a single distillery.
Japanese whisky is distilled just as scotch is done. It would be a misconception to think there is no difference between Japanese whisky and Scotch Whisky. In Japan, a distillery can produce different styles, and use different stills, mush bills, or profiles to go to the brand's blend.
The difference is the distillery's still shape, water used, and detailed process. Japanese whisky is becoming popular and winning awards in the global arena. Some of the Japanese whisky brands in Kenya are; Nikka taketsure 12 years pure malt, Suntory whisky, and Pure Malt Black Nikka Whisky.
For a whisky to qualify as a Scotch it must be distilled and bottled in Scotland. The whisky is distilled twice. It comes in single malt, single grain, blended Scotch, Blended malt, or blended grain.
- Single Malt: Scotch whisky made of barley and produced in a single distillery
- Single Grain Scotch: Refers to Scotch whisky made by incorporating other grains into the mush. It has to be from a single distillery. Single grain scotch is rare in the market. Mostly the single grain produced is used for blends.
- Blended Scotch: Blending single malt with single grains gives blended Scotch whisky.
- Blended Grain: Made by mixing single grain whiskies from different distilleries
- Blended Malt: A mixture of single malt from different distilleries
Indian whiskey is an Indian-made liquor prepared by blending neutral spirits usually distilled from fermented molasses. Indian whiskey has no set standards like distillation from cereals or maturity period; hence outside India, many would refer to it as rum. Most Indian whiskeys have not qualified for the E.U. standards due to the use of molasses, neutral alcohol, and use of flavorings. Such spirits are generally cheap to produce compared to other genuine whiskeys.
Whisky neat, with water or Cocktails?
Whisky complexity allows different ways of drinking. Taking neat means straight from the bottle to a lowball glass without any dilution or additives. Whisky neat should be sipped slowly to appreciate the notes. Don’t take whisky as a shot of liquor. If you are a whisky beginner bourbon would be a good choice due to its sweeter flavors that tone down alcohol burns. For spice lovers, rye whiskey is a great drink.
Whisky with water
Björn Karlsson, a chemist at Linnæus University in Sweden and the paper’s co-author, said: “What came out from our study is that adding water to whisky should make it taste better.” Whisky has compounds that repel water hence adding drops of water makes the flavors float on the surface.
Whisky cocktails break down the complexity of whisky. Whisky beginners can be introduced to cocktails before heading to neat drinking. Anyone who has been put away by the strong flavor of whiskey taken neat can be re-introduced through cocktails. There are different whisky cocktails out there such as Bourbon Mojito, Whiskey and Apple Juice, Smoky Sour, highball, Irish whiskey old fashioned, mint julep, and more.
Whisky has a rich variety of drinks to choose from. Whiskies offered by drinks vine range from distillation, Place of distillation, blends, aging, and more. See more on whisky from whisky brands in Kenya.